Sunday, April 3, 2011

2005 Mens basketball championship

6 years ago today, UNC-Chapel Hill won the Men's Basketball Championship.  By a very strange confluence of events, ending in my son's 9 week NICU hospital stay, we ended up living in Chapel Hill during March Madness.  It was an eye-opening experience.  Previously, I had been almost completely unaware of college basketball, but during our stay in the NICU, we couldn't miss the fact that most people wore light blue and white, and were constantly talking about "the game" from the night before.

My wife and I got caught up in it.  Watching the games was a way to momentarily escape from the dreadful realities of what was happening to our little tiny son.

As it happened, I didn't watch the final game.  Andrew had died only hours before, and I wasn't up to it, to put it mildly.

But, over the last four years, the Tarheels basketball team has been a delightful way of remembering our time in Chapel Hill, and remembering our son.

I was hoping for a repeat of their win with Sean May, and later, Tyler Hansborough, but sadly their March Madness 2011 career only carried them to the Elite Eight.

So here is a short video playing the highlights of the 2005 game, from that memorable day of days in my life:


No comments: