Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Argue vs. Debate


In the course of discussion with a friend, we stumbled on an argument  debate argument about the words "argue" and "debate".  Which word more appropiately expresses the hearty and healthy discussion that ought (I believe rather strongly) to take place amongst Christian men?  Here is an excerpt from an e-mail I wrote arguing for my word of choice.

"Perhaps I might propose, just for fun, revisiting our discussion of word choice.  I believe, after a little more pondering that I have come to rest on the word "argue" rather than "debate".  As I have stated, ad nauseam perhaps, I more and more am choosing to rest the weight of my beliefs and opinions on those things that have stood the test of time and the test of Scriptural inspection, and thus, when it comes to word-choice, I look often to the etymology and carefully crafted definitions of words composed by the word-smiths that create reputable dictionaries...and particularly the Oxford English Dictionary editors, rather then the current popular definitions.

So the etymology of the words "debate" and "argue" follow:
debate late 14c., "to quarrel, dispute," from O.Fr. debatre (13c., Mod.Fr. débattre), originally "to fight," from de- "down, completely" (see de-) + batre "to beat" (seebattery). As a noun, from early 14c. Related: Debateddebating.

argue c.1300, from O.Fr. arguer (12c.), from L. argutare "to prattle" freq. of arguere "to make clear, demonstrate," from PIE *argu-yo-, from base *arg- "to shine, be white, bright, clear" (see argent). Related: Arguablearguablyarguedarguing. Colloquial argufy is first attested 1751.
From those I find that "debate" seems to indicate "to beat down" and "argue" indicates "to shed light on like argent, or silver"  
Then I pull out my handy OED, and find the following definitions:
DEBATE: 1. Strife, dissension, quarrelling, (formerly) fighting; a quarrel
ARGUE: 1. Discuss, reason, debate; contend, dispute. 2. Discuss the pros and cons of; bring forward reasons for or against (a proposition).
So, I propose that "debate", from both the etymological and definitive point of view has a much more bellicose attitude than the word "argue", which seems to point toward a reasoned discussion on a topic.  I cede the point that the OED definition for argue actually has the word debate in it, but I still make the proposal that all things considered, "arguing" is possible a Christian virtue which ought to be a part of our life together.
A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver (argent?). Pr. 25:11
Slightly eccentrically, Dave"

Citation:
Clark, David. E-mail to a friend. David's Gmail account. 18 September 2010. 

No comments: