Thursday, February 10, 2011

My childhood dreams





When I was a boy, my dad had a black paste board box filled with his old comic books.  When my brother or I were sick, the box would come out, and we would mitigate our misery by reading about The Flash, Sgt. Rock, The Submariner and all their friends (and enemies).

Interspersed amongst the comic panels were (not exactly surprisingly) advertisements for all sorts of products that would allure a young boy, and part him from his allowance.  Here is one thing that I actually paid for and recieved.  I was once the proud owner of:









While I never bought a real working submarine like the one pictured at left, I did dream long hours about buying it (for under $7.00!!).  In fact, in later years, my brother and I developed a jointly written story based on our fantasies about this wonderful sub.






Here is what we would have gotten if we had broken down (or broken our dad down) and ordered it:











SWEET!!


ttp://partoftheprecipitate.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/sea-monkey.jpg accessed 2 February, 2011.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjo01yg-stU accessed 2 February, 2011.
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1385/544994244_9734939163.jpg accessed 4 February, 2011.

No comments: