Tuesday, March 29, 2011

10,000 Hours

(I have heard that it takes 10,000 hours to master a skill.)

Gracie and I recently watched "The Kid", starring Bruce Willis.  In the movie, the main character ("Russ") who is about to turn 40,  meets himself as a grade-school boy.  The boy version of Russ hangs out with him and finally realizes that he grew up to be a "dogless, chickless guy with a twitch" and is irate with his older self for becoming such a loser.

Then the two of them meet a 70-year-old version of Russ, who has a "chick", an airplane and a dog!  They are ecstatic!  The realize that they are not losers after all.  The boy finally returns to "his own time" and the 40-year-old Russ is left to start working on becoming a dog-owning, married airplane pilot.

After watching that movie, I pondered what I would like to see myself as in 30 years, and what it would take to get there.

Another way of posing a similar question is "What am I willing to dedicate 10,000 hours to in order to master it?" 

How would you answer that question?

No comments: